Compassionate Guidance Through Difficult Personal Times
Cross Glazier Reed Burroughs Staff
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Divorce
  4.  » Postnuptial Agreements

Already Married? You Can Still Protect Your Assets.

Most people have heard of prenups — agreements created before a marriage that deal with how property will be divided if the couple decides to split up. They are helpful for couples who possess significant assets or debts and can give both spouses peace of mind.

While less common, a similar agreement can also be made after the marriage has already taken place. These agreements are known as postnuptial or postmarital agreements.

At Cross Glazier Reed Burroughs, PC, our attorneys have extensive experience reviewing and drafting postnuptial agreements. We can help you understand the advantages and disadvantages of such an agreement and guide you through the related legal complexities.

Why Would I Want A Postnup?

There are many reasons for couples to consider entering into a postnuptial agreement. They can be used to resolve marital issues based on financial strains by isolating the source of the dispute. Where a couple disagrees about how their property should be allocated, a postmarital agreement can solidify their decisions.

These agreements are most often used to protect the financial interests of one or both spouses following:

  • A significant change in income
  • Sale or acquisition of a business
  • Major investment changes

Postmarital agreements are also helpful for couples planning for their retirement. By creating a customized plan for the future, both of them can feel at ease.

Your Guide For Marital Agreements

Our lawyers will help you understand your rights and options in creating your postnuptial agreement as well as any potential risk or possibility for disputes in the future. We provide you with all of the information you need to make the most informed decisions possible regarding these critical legal steps. To request an appointment, call our Indianapolis office at 317-669-9134 or toll free at 317-669-9134 . You can also make a request online.