Cross Glazier Reed Burroughs, P.C.
Compassionate Guidance Through Difficult Personal Times
Cross Glazier Reed Burroughs Staff
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Child-Related Issues
  4.  » Child Relocation

Child Relocation Issues Can Upend Family Dynamics – We Have Your Back

When one parent wants to relocate with his or her child or children, the matter can quickly become contentious. Child custody and relocation cases often involve significant, heartfelt litigation.

At Cross Glazier Reed Burroughs, PC, we recognize the urgent and emotional nature of child custody cases. As a parent, you want to spend as much quality time with your children as possible. If you are required to move because of a job, or if your ex-spouse wants to move to another state, the time you spend with your children can be called into question.

A Carmel or Indianapolis child custody lawyer from our firm can help you through the process — whether you would like to relocate with your children or need legal assistance contesting the proposed move.

The Relocating Parent Must Provide Notice

The parent who wishes to relocate with the children must provide notice to the other parent at least 90 days prior to relocating. The relocating parent must provide ample details about the move — Why is he or she moving? When is he or she moving? How is he or she moving? The nonrelocating parent can then object to the relocation and attempt to modify child custody. If the nonrelocating parent objects, the court will look at factors such as the following when making a determination:

  • How will the child-parent relationship be affected?
  • Has the nonrelocating parent been denied contact previously?
  • What is the reason for the move?
  • How far is the parent moving with the children?

The best interests of the children are considered above all else. As highly experienced Indianapolis child custody lawyers, we strive to attain creative child custody decisions in these cases.

Contact An Indiana Child Relocation Lawyer

To arrange a consultation with an Indianapolis child custody lawyer to discuss relocation, contact Cross Glazier Reed Burroughs, PC Please call us at 317-669-9134 or complete our online contact form.