Compassionate Guidance Through Difficult Personal Times
Cross Glazier Reed Burroughs Staff
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Child-Related Issues
  4.  » Paternity

Paternity Matters Can Change The Course Of A Life, We Are Here For Your Family

At Cross Glazier Reed Burroughs, PC, we assist mothers, fathers and children in legally establishing paternity. Our attorneys understand how emotional these proceedings can be for all involved, and we are committed to providing compassionate, but zealous advocacy during this time to establish and protect parental rights and responsibilities.

If you are seeking to establish your parental rights or court-ordered paternity testing, please contact our firm today to learn your legal options and how we can assist you in this process. Call us at 317-669-9134 or toll free at 317-669-9134 .

Assisting You With Fathers’ Rights And Paternity Issues

Paternity can be established in Indiana in one of two ways. Either both the mother and father can sign a legal affidavit establishing paternity within 72 hours of the birth or a case for paternity can be filed in court. The mother, father or child can file this case to establish paternity. While blood and genetic or DNA testing are not necessarily a requirement for establishing paternity, they are often ordered by the court to settle any disputes that may arise or if either party requests the test.


If you are married to the child’s mother at the time of birth, you are presumed to be the child’s biological father which, if not controverted, will result in parental rights to visitation, as well as possible custody and child support. If you are not married at the time of birth and the mother refuses to sign the affidavit establishing you as the father, you have legal options to establish paternity and pursue parental rights. These rights can be time-sensitive and need to be pursued as soon as possible; in some situations, rights can be lost upon the expiration of only 30 days from birth.

If you are found to be the father, you will be granted the same parental rights as any father, including visitation and custody rights. You will also be obligated to pay the mother child support or if you have custody, she will be ordered to pay child support to you.


If the mother of the child is not married to the father when the child is born and does not wish for the father to be in the child’s life, she does not have to file for paternity. The father will not be obligated to pay child support, however.

If you are seeking to receive child support and the father is unwilling to establish paternity, you can request court-ordered genetic testing during the paternity case. The parents will be obligated to pay for this testing. If he is determined to be the child’s father, support, custody and parenting time issues will be addressed by the court.


If paternity was not established by the parents, the child has up to 20 years to file a paternity case in court. This can include requesting court-ordered genetic testing. This may be a desired course of action by a child to provide clarity, closure or pursue financial contribution.

At Cross Glazier Reed Burroughs, PC, we provide the legal guidance and advice you need at each step in this process. Call us at 317-669-9134.