Compassionate Guidance Through Difficult Personal Times
Cross Glazier Reed Burroughs Staff
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Divorce
  4.  » Post-Divorce Modifications

Guiding You Through Post-Divorce Modifications That May Have Great Impacts On Your Life

As the court makes a decision on a final divorce decree, it takes into account the specific circumstances and dynamics of the family in question to ensure that the decree is appropriate for all involved. As the years progress, those variables may change and the decree may become outdated — particularly as children grow.

When a decree no longer reflects the best interests of the children and parents involved, there are legal actions available to petition for a post-divorce modification to the decree.

At Cross Glazier Reed Burroughs, PC, our attorneys provide guidance to families and spouses throughout the modification process, delivering legal solutions that meet the needs of those involved and continue to best serve the children.

To learn more about seeking a post-divorce modification, please contact our law offices today to schedule a consultation by calling 317-669-9134 or toll free at 317-669-9134 . We assist in support modifications, custody modifications and all other post-divorce decrees.

Relocation Of A Parent Following Divorce

After the divorce, one parent may seek to move from the geographical area in which the other spouse and the children live. Whether you have primary custody, joint custody or any percentage of parenting time, you will be required to file a Notice of Intent to Relocate with the court at least 90 days before your scheduled move, if possible. This may trigger the need for a petition for a modification to the divorce decree to accommodate the relocation. This adjustment will change the schedule on which you see your children (including holidays and vacations) and the amount of time spent with them. Child support may also change as the parenting time will be affected.

Change In Income Or Lifestyle Of Either Spouse

If one spouse experiences a change in income or lifestyle in the years that follow the divorce, a modification can be sought to ensure that the support requirements continue to be appropriate, given state standards for support. This applies to both child and spousal support.

Changes in income could range from layoffs or loss of a job to career advancement to coming into wealth, including through remarriage.

Whether you suspect that your former spouse has more income than when the decree was formed or you are seeking to adjust the support you owe due to a job loss, we can help. Our lawyers will provide you with a clear understanding of what you can expect from the petition for modification, as well as all rights and options available to you.