Mike joined Cross Glazier Reed Burroughs, P.C., in 2021, after spending two decades as a partner at a large international law firm. Throughout Mike's career, he has seamlessly coordinated and executed a wide array of legal services that cater to the unique needs of high net-worth clients and public figures, including wealth preservation and transition planning, counsel on closely-held business activities, representation in family law matters, and tax counsel.
Mike concentrates his practice in a variety of personal representations, including the areas of matrimonial law and wealth transfer planning. Mike’s practice also includes an emphasis on the drafting of premarital agreements, to preserve and optimize the wealth transfer options of his clients and their families. Mike has represented many of the wealthiest individuals and families in Indiana, and from across the country, in capacities that range from the usual (divorce, wealth transfer, or tax counsel) to the novel (counseling clients in response to attempted blackmail schemes, clients targeted in criminal investigations, etc.). Mike’s clients have included executives, professional athletes, civic leaders, other high-profile and high net worth individuals, and their spouses.
Mike has written extensively on--as well as litigated--various and complex legal subject matters, including business valuation issues, stock option divisions, beneficiary trust interests, asset protection trusts, premarital agreements, legal issues incident to the conclusion of same-sex relationships (before such marriages were legally recognized), and other topics at the fore of the modern matrimonial law practice.
Mike has been interviewed by the Wall Street Journal on trends involving personal legal representation. His writings have been a frequent feature of continuing legal education seminars. Mike is the founder and editor of the Indiana Family Law Update, an electronic publication that provides over 200 attorneys and judges across Indiana, and beyond, with timely updates and analysis regarding developments in the Indiana appellate courts. Mike previously has served as a contributing editor on a handbook for Indiana Appellate Practice, and he gives regular counsel and representation to clients facing or considering an appeal.
Throughout this career, Mike has been repeatedly recognized by the "Super Lawyers" publication.
Licensed to practice law in Florida, as well as Indiana, Mike also assists clients with assorted Florida legal issues, including estate planning, probate, and real estate transactional work for clients that own, or are affiliated with, Florida real estate or business interests.
When not practicing law, Mike enjoys exercise, cooking, travel, music, and spending time with his family. Also a noted photographer, Mike's work has appeared in wildlife and sporting publications, from his work on African safaris, to the hundreds of thousands of images he has taken at lacrosse games up and down the east coast.
- Indiana University School of Law, Bloomington, Indiana
- J.D. - 1998
- Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
- B.A. - 1995
- Major: Economics
- Major: Political Science
Classes & Seminars
- "Financial and Estate Planning for Divorcing Clients", 08/13/2010
- "Divorce 101: Handling Your First Divorce Case", 12/04/2010
- "A Survey of the New Amendments to the Indiana Child Support Rules and Guidelines", 09/15/2009
- "Family Law Institute Tax Returns: Analyzing LLC, S-Corporations and Partnership Tax Returns", 2009
- "Tax Returns and Related Documents: Sample Discovery Requests", 10/15/2008 to Present
- "Divorce 101: Property Related Clauses and for Decrees and Settlements Agreements", 04/25/2008
- "Overview of Divorce-Related Issues Involving Highly Compensated Executives and Business Owners and Social Security Issues in Divorce", 12/13/2007
- Overview of Divorce-Related Issues Involving Highly Compensated Executives and Business Owners", ICLEF, November, 2007
- Hot Property Topics: Stock Options, Remainder Interests, Property Issues for Non-Married Cohabitants, and Provisions Your Decree May Need, ICLEF, January, 2007
- Family Law Issues Concerning Gays, Lesbians, and Their Children Under Indiana Law
- Property Division Issues Arising from Unmarried Cohabitation, 2006
- Indiana Law Regarding Business Valuation in the Context of Marriage Dissolution, ICLEF, December, 2005
- Family Law Issues Concerning Gays, Lesbians, and Their Children Under Indiana Law, 2005
- Divorce in Indiana: A Client's Handbook, 2005
- 2001 Appellate Practice Manual, Appellate Practice Section of the Indiana State Bar Association, 2001
- Indiana Family Law Case Law Update
- Provides Estate Planning Window of Opportunity", 2018
- "New Tax Act Provides Estate Planning Window of Opportunity", 2018
- Indiana Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- Alachua County (Florida) Bar Association
- Samuel P. Harn Museum of Art, University of Florida
- Various fundraising and event committees
Current Employment Position
- Estate Planning
- Family Law
- Florida, 2001
- Indiana, 1998
- Selected for inclusion in Indiana Super Lawyers® "Rising Stars" list in the field of Family Law, 2009, 2011-2013
- Harrison Legal Writing Award, First Place, "Family Law Issues Concerning Gays, Lesbians and their Children Under Indiana Law," Res Gestae, Indiana State Bar Association, co-author James Reed, 2007