Compassionate Guidance Through Difficult Personal Times
Cross Glazier Reed Burroughs Staff
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Child Support
  4.  » What happens if you don’t pay child support in Indiana?

What happens if you don’t pay child support in Indiana?

On Behalf of | Jun 12, 2020 | Child Support |

Every parent has an obligation to take care of their child financially until they’re of age to do so themselves. Indiana state law requires moms and dads to provide for their kids’ needs until they’re 19-years-old. It’s at that age that a parent’s obligation to make child support payments comes to an end. There are a few exceptions to these rules. County officials throughout the state employ a variety of measures to enforce Indiana judges’ child support orders.

Child support enforcement agents may be able to intercept a non-custodial parent’s lottery winnings, state or federal tax refunds or insurance settlements if they’re behind in making their required payments.

County officials can also place a lien on a non-custodial parent’s car, revoke or deny their passport and suspend both their professional and driver’s licenses if they fall behind in making child support payments.

Child support enforcement agents can place added alerts in various state and federal databases if a non-custodial Indianapolis parent neglects to pay the child support that they owe.

One of these computer programs that county officials can flag is a new hire database. These agents can levy your bank accounts and also garnish your wages. They may even report your delinquency to the credit bureaus.

Moms or dads who give up or lose their parental rights may not have any obligation to pay child support. A non-custodial parent may not have to financially provide for any child under the age of 19 that has gone through the legal emancipation process either.

Falling ill or losing a job is no excuse for not paying child support. You should consult with a child support attorney the minute that you start having difficulty paying what you owe. Your Indianapolis lawyer can advise you of your right to seek a temporary modification in your case.




American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
Super Lawyers
ISBA Sustaining Member