Compassionate Guidance Through Difficult Personal Times
Cross Glazier Reed Burroughs Staff
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Child Support
  4.  » Ways to enforce child support

Ways to enforce child support

On Behalf of | Dec 24, 2015 | Child Support |

Every child deserves the love and support of both of their parents. This care can be provided to a child through various means including, the most common after divorce, child support. Child support is a payment made from one parent to the other to help cover the expense associated with raising their child. Family Court determines what child support will be and how it will be paid. And although we would all hope that all paying parents stay current with their child support obligation, it is not uncommon for individuals to become delinquent or simply refuse to pay.

Child support is a court-ordered payment and cannot be discharged through bankruptcy. When financial hardship strikes that make it difficult to pay child support, it is important for the paying parents to contact the Family Court as soon as possible. Not doing so may result in a delinquency that could cause prosecutors to seek other means of enforcement.

When child support accounts go delinquent interest can be charged to the paying parent each month. Child support agencies and their prosecutors may attempt to collect back-owed child support through a number of different means. The delinquent parents may have their tax refund, lottery winnings and work bonuses seized by the Child support agency to settle their debt. The Child support agency also has the power to seize bank accounts, place a lien on a vehicle, suspend professional and recreational licenses and even report the delinquency to credit bureaus.

It is the right of every child to receive support from both parents. When this support is not received as ordered by the Family Court, the Child support agency may resort to other means of collection. These means have the potential to inflict greater financial hardship upon the delinquent payer. It is important for individuals in fear of becoming delinquent to contact the Family Court or an attorney as soon as possible.




American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
Super Lawyers
ISBA Sustaining Member