Compassionate Guidance Through Difficult Personal Times
Cross Glazier Reed Burroughs Staff
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Child Support
  4.  » What happens when child support is not paid?

What happens when child support is not paid?

On Behalf of | Nov 15, 2015 | Child Support |

If two people have a child together, it is the responsibility of both of them to properly care for their son or daughter. This is something that should be done whether the parents are a couple or not. This is why, when parents go to court to discuss the issue of child custody, they often end up going over the matter of child support as well. More often than not, when child support is discussed, it will be decided that one parent is to make monthly payments. While this parent may be ordered by the court to pay child support every month, they may not always act on this order.

A parent making the decision not to pay child support happens often. Sometimes they may not believe that the child needs as much money as they are required to pay or they may not have the money to contribute financially to the child’s life. However, that does not mean that it is acceptable for them to ignore the fact that the child is their responsibility just as much as the child is the responsibility of the other parent. Knowing this, the custodial parent may decide to take action when the noncustodial parent fails to pay child support.

Should a parent fail to pay child support and they are reported by the other parent, there are a number of ways that the state will work to get the missed monthly child support payments to the child. Options include garnishing wages, withholding tax refunds, seizing property and more. There is also the chance that the parent may be sentenced to jail for their failure to pay.

It is important that children be cared for by both parents. If your child’s other parent has failed to pay child support, it may be time to report them so you can get your child the money that they deserve. An attorney may be able to assist you with the process and any other issues you may be having with child support.




American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
Super Lawyers
ISBA Sustaining Member