Compassionate Guidance Through Difficult Personal Times
Cross Glazier Reed Burroughs Staff
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Child Custody
  4.  » What your relocation notice must contain

What your relocation notice must contain

On Behalf of | Feb 7, 2019 | Child Custody |

Relocating can be difficult after divorce. You do not have as much freedom as you once did if there are children involved and you share custody with your ex. You now have to think about your ex’s custody rights and ability to see the kids.

In a very real sense, moving out in Indiana — or even to another city within the same state — can make it impossible for your ex to visit the kids or have them live at his or her house. You need to ask the court for permission to make this type of move. To start the process, you have to send your ex and the court a notice that contains:

  • The reasons that you want to make the move, such as going back to school or getting a new job
  • The date on which you would like to relocate
  • Your updated contact information if you do end up moving
  • A proposal that outlines how you and your ex can still stay involved with the kids after the move

If the court approves of your proposal, it can then alter the child custody agreement and you can move. If they deny it, you have to keep working to find a viable solution before you can take the kids and relocate.

You want this process to go as smoothly as possible. It’s important to know exactly what steps to take. If you have any questions about how it works and what you need to do, our informative website can help to give you all of the information you need.




American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
Super Lawyers
ISBA Sustaining Member