Compassionate Guidance Through Difficult Personal Times
Cross Glazier Reed Burroughs Staff
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Can I modify my child custody or child support arrangements?

Can I modify my child custody or child support arrangements?

On Behalf of | Sep 7, 2018 | Family Law |

Your child custody and child support arrangements are not set in stone. In fact, if you, your child or your spouse has experienced a significant change in circumstances, an Indiana family law court may agree to modify your court orders to reflect your current situation and needs.

It’s not uncommon for parents to request a modification relating to:

  • Child custody arrangements
  • Visitation schedules
  • Child support payments

How to file a request for modification

Parents seeking a modification request relating to child support, child custody or visitation orders will need to submit their request for modification with the family law court that last heard an order that pertained to the children the matter affects.

Parents who want to file a request for modification should contact this court and ask what they need to do in order to ask for a modification. Usually, it will be necessary to submit forms and follow various procedures to pursue such a request.

When will courts grant a request for modification?

Every request for modification will be decided by the appropriate family law court on a case-by-case basis. The court will consider the ages of the children, the needs of the children and the best interests of the children as well as the reality of the circumstances being experienced by the parents when making their decision to award or deny the modification request.

Generally, courts will want to see that the change in circumstances is significant and that the requested modification will support positive improvements for the current conditions experienced by the child and/or children involved. The other parent — if he or she wishes to object to the modification — will also have the opportunity to voice his or her arguments to this regard.

Do you need to modify your family law court orders?

If you need to ask for a modification to your child support, child custody or visitation orders, you might want to discuss your situation with a qualified family law attorney to learn about your legal rights and options.




American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
Super Lawyers
ISBA Sustaining Member