Compassionate Guidance Through Difficult Personal Times
Cross Glazier Reed Burroughs Staff
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Child Custody
  4.  » Changes parents need to make after one relocates with a child

Changes parents need to make after one relocates with a child

On Behalf of | Jan 15, 2016 | Child Custody |

Many people with children believe that raising a child is fun, yet challenging. It is a huge responsibility, and whether people plan to have children or not, they have to be prepared to raise them and support them once they do. Of course, this is a job best done by both parents, but when two people are no longer together, co-parenting can be difficult to do, even more so when one parent isn’t offering as much assistance as they should. It could also be difficult to co-parent when both parents live in different cities or states.

It is already challenging enough to raise a child, but when parents have to do it alone or with very little help from the other parent, it may seem impossible. Not all parents live in different states, but those who do may have realized that they had to make some major changes to help them adjust to caring for their child. When it comes to parents moving away, not only will they have to modify the child custody order, they will have to adjust the visitation schedule and have to cover the cost of travel to go back and forth when they want to see each other.

Just because one parent has made plans to move out of state with the child, doesn’t mean they will be able to pick up and leave whenever they want. With this particular situation, the parent who is planning to move, which will most likely be the custodial parent, will have to get permission from either the other parent or the court. This is where the plan to move away could be put on hold because it is possible that neither will agree that the move is a good idea.

When a parent decides to move away with their child, it can have a negative impact on the child because they will no longer be able to see their other parent as easily or as often. However, depending on the circumstances, moving to another city or state may not affect the parent’s relationship with the child as much as they anticipated. Anyone who is considering a move out of the city or state with their child may want to speak to an attorney, as they can answer any questions you have or assist with any legal issues that may arise regarding your move.




American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
Super Lawyers
ISBA Sustaining Member