Compassionate Guidance Through Difficult Personal Times
Cross Glazier Reed Burroughs Staff
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Dealing with back child support in Indiana

Dealing with back child support in Indiana

On Behalf of | Jul 31, 2017 | Family Law |

Being divorced is not always easy, especially when there are children involved. It’s likely that your children went through a stressful time when you and your former spouse got divorced. Now, you are experiencing more stress due to the lack of child support payments. Here’s how you can deal with back child support in Indiana.

It is in your best interest to work with a family law attorney if you are not receiving the child support payments agreed upon at the time of your divorce. An attorney will be able to work with you in filing for back payments and filing all the legal documents necessary.

Even if you believe you can negotiate a payment plan with your former spouse, an attorney can make the process easier to handle. It might require your former spouse filing a petition for an altered or new payment plan in order to receive the money you deserve.

One option you have is to settle the amount owed to you in back payments if you believe your former spouse will still have trouble making payments in the future. A settlement might mean you receive less than the total amount owed to you, but it is still money that you can put towards the care of your children.

If a settlement is not an option, you can petition to have your former spouse’s wages garnished. You can also ask to have his or her driver’s license suspended, passport denied or tax refund seized. These are all options that a family law attorney can discuss with you should you need to acquire back child support payments from your former spouse.

Hounding your former spouse for back child support is never easy. An experienced Indiana family law attorney can handle the situation for you and help you receive the payments you rightfully deserve.

Source: Money Crashers, “How Back Child Support Works – Paying or Collecting,” Miranda Marquit, accessed July 27, 2017




American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
Super Lawyers
ISBA Sustaining Member