Compassionate Guidance Through Difficult Personal Times
Cross Glazier Reed Burroughs Staff
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Child Custody
  4.  » Modifying your child support agreement

Modifying your child support agreement

On Behalf of | Sep 25, 2016 | Child Custody |

There are certain circumstances under which you could be allowed to change the terms of your child support agreement. The payment could be decreased or increased if the parent comes up with a valid reason. The child’s financial requirements might increase with age, and the custodial parent could ask to modify the child support agreement and demand more financial support.

In some cases, the non-custodial parent might not be able to afford the child support payments anymore. It could become difficult for them due to sudden life changes or other unforeseen circumstances. It is important to keep paying child support and trying your best to keep up with the payments. This could play a major role when you apply for modifications in the child support agreement. The previous child support agreement must always be followed until the court reaches an agreement regarding your modification claim. If you fail to pay child support and your modification claim is not accepted, you could owe back payments.

There are also other ways to get your child support agreement modified. Some judges include an annual cost of living clause in the child support agreement to allow for smooth transition every year. As the cost of living changes, the child support amount also changes. Certain economic indicators are used to determine the cost of living. This makes sure that the noncustodial parent does not have to pay an unfair amount.

If you feel like there is a need to make modifications to your child support agreement, it is advisable to hire an experienced attorney. The attorney will review the paperwork and file the modification claim for you.




American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
Super Lawyers
ISBA Sustaining Member