Cross Glazier Burroughs, PC

What happens to my child support if I change jobs?

When you got your divorce, you and your ex spouse came up with an equitable amount of child support based on your current job, living conditions, expenses and other factors. So what happens if you lose your job or find another job that doesn't offer the same pay? Are you expected to keep up the same payments even though you have less coming in? Thankfully, the answer is that you can get a child support modification to reflect your new job situation.

However, it doesn't happen automatically. The courts don't just learn about your change in employment and adjust your payments accordingly. It's up to you to notify the proper people. The first person to notify is your ex wife or husband. If you explain to him or her your new circumstances and the two of you can work out a new agreement, you'll just need a judge to sign off on it.

Even if you can't come to an agreement, you can file a petition asking the court for a child support modification. The court will determine whether you experienced a big enough change in circumstances to warrant a modification and either grant or deny your request.

It's important to act quickly and not miss any payments in the meantime. The process can be a tricky one, so it may be a good idea to speak with an attorney about your situation. He or she can help you file your request and may be able to get you an arrangement that better fits your new income.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us for A Response

We Are Available To You

Our attorneys are distinguished and respected as family lawyers in Indianapolis and throughout Indiana.

We Are Available To You

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location:
11595 North Meridian Street, Suite 110
Carmel, IN 46032

Toll Free: 800-461-7459
Toll Free: 800-461-7459
Phone: 317-669-9134
Phone: 317-669-9134
Carmel Law Office Map