Cross Glazier Burroughs, PC

What your relocation notice must contain

Relocating can be difficult after divorce. You do not have as much freedom as you once did if there are children involved and you share custody with your ex. You now have to think about your ex's custody rights and ability to see the kids.

In a very real sense, moving out in Indiana -- or even to another city within the same state -- can make it impossible for your ex to visit the kids or have them live at his or her house. You need to ask the court for permission to make this type of move. To start the process, you have to send your ex and the court a notice that contains:

  • The reasons that you want to make the move, such as going back to school or getting a new job
  • The date on which you would like to relocate
  • Your updated contact information if you do end up moving
  • A proposal that outlines how you and your ex can still stay involved with the kids after the move

If the court approves of your proposal, it can then alter the child custody agreement and you can move. If they deny it, you have to keep working to find a viable solution before you can take the kids and relocate.

You want this process to go as smoothly as possible. It's important to know exactly what steps to take. If you have any questions about how it works and what you need to do, our informative website can help to give you all of the information you need.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us for A Response

We Are Available To You

Our attorneys are distinguished and respected as family lawyers in Indianapolis and throughout Indiana.

We Are Available To You

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location:
11595 North Meridian Street, Suite 110
Carmel, IN 46032

Toll Free: 800-461-7459
Toll Free: 800-461-7459
Phone: 317-669-9134
Phone: 317-669-9134
Carmel Law Office Map