Cross Glazier Burroughs, PC

Guidelines for Marriage Dissolution for Same-Sex Partners

Getting married to the right partner is widely considered to be an impressive feat by most couples across the U.S. By living side by side, you envision spending cherished moments in a predetermined location and possibly with a few children to complete the family. However, not all nuptials get to experience the happily ever after, especially when differences rock the marriage. In the absence of an amicable solution, getting divorced becomes the most logical course of action after a dismal marriage. Just like heterosexual couples, same-sex partners also need to comply with a similar dissolution criterion enshrined within Indiana law.

As you prepare to wind up your marriage, it is advisable to consider an equitable property division process especially when your financial stability can barely support you, let alone the kids. Unlike a straight couple, same-sex partners have been afforded fewer precedents to follow while navigating the divorce process. Such regulations will however alter the course of the divorce especially when children were adopted into the family. In such a case, you must reach an amicable child custody agreement with your ex-spouse for the best interests of the kids. This doesn’t mean you have to forgive them for an alleged transgression. It simply means you have to consider what the children need to safeguard their development.

Ending a domestic partnership can be nerve-racking, to say the least. Not only do you have to prepare parenting plans with your ex-partner, but determining favorable spousal support can also consume precious time and legal resources. Winding up a gay marriage can be a straightforward or lengthy process, depending on how the couple approaches the situation. Once sole custody has been accorded to a particular partner by the court, the non-custodial spouse is mandated by law to meet child support payments regularly until deemed otherwise by the same tribunal. In such a situation, they meet housing, health and educational expenses as the child in question grows up.

Such laws don’t necessarily mean the custodial parent shouldn’t contribute in any way. On the contrary, they should equally participate in the child’s welfare as determined by the court. This essentially requires them to comply with the parenting plan prepared during the dissolution process. Consulting an experienced lawyer specializing in LGBT Marriage will help you make sound decisions.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us for A Response

We Are Available To You

Our attorneys are distinguished and respected as family lawyers in Indianapolis and throughout Indiana.

We Are Available To You

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location:
11595 North Meridian Street, Suite 110
Carmel, IN 46032

Toll Free: 800-461-7459
Toll Free: 800-461-7459
Phone: 317-669-9134
Phone: 317-669-9134
Carmel Law Office Map